Saving Lives: January is National Blood Donor Month
During the winter months, there are often shortages of blood and blood centers face the challenge of recruiting people to donate blood.
- Less than 10% of approximately 6.8 million individuals donate blood annually.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells and 7,000 units of platelets are needed every day in the U.S.
- The human body typically has 10 pints of blood; donation is roughly one pint.
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- Type O is the blood type most often requested by hospitals.
- AB positive blood donors are universal donors of plasma.
- A single donation can potentially help more than one patient.
- Most donated red blood cells must be used within 42 days of collection.
How You Can Help
- Call the American Red Cross at 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
- Downloading the American Red Cross Blood Donor App
- Visiting redcrossblood.org